Is your credit score holding you back from getting what you want? Why not make getting your credit report in shape part of your 2009 resolutions?
Here are a few tips to help you shape up your credit report for 2009:
1) Pay your bills on time. This is the best way to improve your scores, and it is never to late to start!
2) Keep credit card balances low. High outstanding debt can pull down your score.
3) Check your report for accuracy. It is possible there may be inaccurate information on your report.
4) Pay off debt rather than moving it around. Consolidating your credit card debt onto one card or spreading it over multiple cards will not improve your score in the long run. The most effective way to improve your score is by simply paying down the amount you owe.
5) Keep your credit cards ~ But manage them responsibly. In general, having credit cards and installment loans that you pay on time will raise your score. Someone who has no credit tends to have a lower score than someone who has managed credit cards responsibly.
6) Don't close an account to remove it from your record. Even closed accounts remain on your report, possibly for an indefinite period of time and still may be factored into your score.
Credit reports regularly are pulled by potential employers, landlords and lenders. Staying on top of what's on in your report will help ensure you get better rates on loans.
Remember, there are no quick fixes for improving your credit score. But you can raise your score over time by demonstrating that you consistently manage your finances responsibly.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any other about getting your credit report in shape for 2009!
Authored By Terrie Leighton. January 2009. Terrie is a licensed real estate agent with Ferrari-Lund Real Estate. The information is this post is believed to be accurate but is not guaranteed.
Your Home. My Priority. Since 2003
Certified Distressed Property Expert (CDPE)
Certified Default Resolution Specialist (CDRS)
Short Sales & Foreclosure Resource ~ Certified (SFR)
NAR's Green Designation ~ Certified Green
Certifed Negotiation Expert (CNE)
Cell ~ 775.846.5424
Email ~ Terrie@terrieleighton.com